Every morning when I rise I make it a duty to be aware of where I am in space and time and to emit a spirit of gratitude and graciousness back towards the universe. I believe rising with a sense of mindfulness helps to alleviate the calm, but also helps with putting on my shield of armor for the battles that the average human being has to face in this world.
Whether it be through scripture reading, meditation, daily devotionals or a calming song- I make it an obligation to keep peace orbiting around me as I prepare for whatever storms, obstacles, or trials that may await me on my journey.
As a black woman, I feel as if I have to be more in tune with my humanness- I can’t just focus on my soul, but the body that houses it and the flesh that gives it substance. With the constant degradation of black bodies, the continuous stream of micro-aggressions, and the same song being sung declaring we shall overcome- yet sometimes it feels like we haven’t gotten there yet, can take a toll on the human psyche and how one perceives oneself and dwells within this world.
The energies that orbit around us- bad or good, can weigh heavy on a persons spirit and when they are compartmentalized, rather than warded off, they can become an emotional burden and a soul-sucking force. Replenishing yourself is necessary for practicing the art of compassion and cultivating a deeper sense of love towards yourself. In a world that may try to oppress, marginalize, devalue or strip you of your worth- it is your duty to keep your foundations solid and heed not to the falsehoods that try to redefine your truths.
Practicing meditation and speaking positive affirmations over your life are useful tools that can better your perception of self and better your self-esteem. The power behind these two practices is the tongue- that is your weapon of warfare. What you speak into the atmosphere, shall become one with the atmosphere, and I believe rising up in the morning and declaring your truths are a great way to keep you balanced and will attribute to how you set the tone for the rest of your day.
Here are 10 positive affirmations [or meditations] every young black soul needs to remember:
- I am enough– I will not conform or lesser my standards to appease or appeal to anyone who does not accept me for who I am and what I am.
- I am worthy– the color of my skin is not definitive of where I belong in this world and no one will be allowed to disregard my presence, or silence my voice, based on the color of my flesh.
- I will surround myself with positive people– if there is anyone in my life that tries to disturb or threaten my peace, I will compassionately remove him or her from my space and focus on the souls whom I share a genuine connection with.
- I am allowed to acknowledge all that makes me human– I give myself permission to weep and to experience sorrow, to laugh or to cry, to make mistakes or feel failure, to grieve and to praise, and I will recognize my humanness and be submerged in all its glory.
- My body is celestial– my temple is an exhibit of Gods art form. His hands have crafted me with goodness in mind and intricate detail. I exhibit a touch of warmth- the sun has kissed my flesh and I am the Polaris in a bed full of stars whom covet my light- My being will be respected, I refuse to be another tossed black body.
- I will allow myself to evolve– I will trust my process and applaud myself for my progress. I am trying- and I will recognize that that is enough.
- I will recognize my good qualities– I am an imperfect person but I am full of grace, wisdom, beauty and knowledge. I will not let my insecurities ring louder than my worth.
- I am deserving of respect– I practice kindness, I cultivate love towards others and I have a right to expect that same energy to be emitted back to me. Being treated like a human is not too much to ask for- therefore, I will make my petition known unapologetically.
- I will not conform to the ways of my enemies– I will uphold my virtues and I will not stoop down to the negative actions or opinions from folks who do not walk in my light.
- I will love myself unconditionally– the love that I cultivate towards myself will be the calm within my storms. My life is deserving of its best chance, and I will walk on the path that promotes inner healing. I will stay grounded and rooted in the fruit of internal love, and I will not be swayed to believe less of myself or what I am capable of becoming.
Find your inner voice and speak nourishment into your life. Take control of your unconscious mind and find your calm. Reconnect with the parts of you that have gotten lost in the whirlwind of life, focus on your breaths and begin the process of drowning out the noise around you as focus on the voice that rings within.
This article was originally published on www.respectyourstruggle.com, a digital magazine that assists individuals to turn their struggles into their strengths by focusing on the mind, body and soul through healthy practices and creative insights that promote personal, emotional and mental growth. Click here to learn how to get involved and join the movement. #RespectYourStruggle
Follow Minaa B on Twitter: www.twitter.com/minaabe